How to Use and Care for Your Retainer
Retainers are essential to maintain the beautiful smile results you’ve worked so hard for. Here is everything you need to know about how to properly use and care for them.
- Wear your retainer at all times, until the doctor instructs otherwise.
- Take your retainer out when eating, and always put it back in its case! (Most appliances are lost in school lunchrooms or restaurants.)
- Initially, you may find it difficult to speak. Practice speaking, reading, or singing out loud to get used to it faster.
- Remove your retainer when you go swimming.
Caring For Your Retainer
- Clean the retainer thoroughly once a day with a toothbrush and toothpaste. Use warm but not hot water. Brushing retainers removes the plaque and eliminates odors. Efferdent® or other orthodontic appliance cleaners can be used but do not take the place of brushing.
- When your retainer is not in your mouth, it should ALWAYS be in its case. Pets love to chew on them!
- Retainers are breakable, so treat yours with care. If your retainer gets lost or broken, call us immediately.
- If you have any questions or concerns about your retainer, or you believe it needs adjusting, call us. Do not try to adjust it yourself.
- Always bring your retainer to your appointments.
- Keep retainers away from hot water, hot car dashboards, pockets, the washing machine, and napkins.
- Retainer replacements are expensive, but with proper care, they will last for years!